Samba & Unix users sync

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Wed Jul 19 11:52:09 GMT 2000

Damen Rund wrote:

> Is there a way to have Samba use the current Unix /etc/passwd file instead
> of the /etc/smbpasswd file to obtain user info, so I dont need to add the
> user twice in order for the user to use the unix box and samba shares?

	Yes, that's the default mode of operation.

	You do need to turn off "encrypted passwords"
	on the clients, but that's no risk if you're firewalled,
	and no more risk than using ftp or telnet. It is a
	nuisance, though!

	It's discussed in more detail in
 http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch06_04.html

--dave
[ps: samba-technical is the maintainer's internals list]
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com