Samba is back up

Kourosh Ghassemieh kourosh at loop.com
Mon Jul 17 18:10:48 GMT 2000

I rolled back all the changes I'd made last week and finally got samba back
up, but I still don't know what the problem was.  I think it may have
something to do with name resolution but that is just based on the fact
that the only change I had made to the network was the DNS server.  I was
still seeing DNS queries going out from the samba server to the old DNS
even after the change and I had restarted networking to make sure the
change had taken.  The network is all behind the firewall and the samba
server is a separate machine.  There is only one linux server running samba
for file and print services and no NT machines, all client are win9x.  The
windows machines could not see the samba server when browsing or even from
the command line using net view or net use.  I had added the server to the
lmhosts files on the clients but still no dice.  It is as if the clients
could not see the server at all.  The only change I had made was to the
DNS, I had not touched the smb.conf or hosts.allow files so I don't see
what could have happened.

At least everything is back up.  I still would like to know what the
problem was, though.

Thanks to everyone who helped.
-

Kourosh Ghassemieh
MindWare Information Systems & Technologies
9255 Sunset Blvd, Penthouse
West Hollywood CA 90069
(310) 729-1784, (310) 271-9807 fax
kourosh at loop.com

++++++Networking the Small Business++++++