your mail

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Jul 17 17:58:31 GMT 2000

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 03:16:22AM +1000, Hawks, Steven L wrote:
> We are looking for another solution besides Samba, which will allow our
> application developers using Windows 95/98/NT to access share on our Sun Box
> running Solaris 2.6 operating systems. Our supervisor feels the Samba
> installation process is more complex than what we really need.

> Any suggestions?

	Contact Sun.  Seems like they have one or two options there.

	I can't say that they are easier to install or configure, but
I can say that they will be more expensive.  Will that make your
supervisor happier?

	I think one of the solutions available from Sun is the Syntax
SMB server, TAS.  You can get more information on that one up at their
site, www.syntax.com.

	I haven't found Samba to be particularly difficult to install
or configure.  In fact, I've seen some of our NT "gurus" go through a
more painfull process just getting an NT server running on an SMP
box (took them over 4 hours) while RedHat Linux and Samba dropped in
like a charm.

> Steven Hawks
> NCR Corporation
> IT Services - GAD Sales and Business Infrastructure
> * 1529 Brown St., EMD/4, Dayton, Oh 45479
> * * (937) 445-3946, fax 445-0375, voiceplus 622-3946
> *  SH151002 at ncr.com

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/