Authenticate Windows 2000 with Samba

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Sun Jul 16 05:40:38 GMT 2000

[Lorenzo Luconi Trombacchi <lorenzo at reality.it>]
> I have a samba 2.0.7 on Linux Redhat 6.2.  I'm using samba as user
> authentication server and file server.  Recently I installed some
> Windows 2000 clients, but I found some problem to authenticate the
> new client with samba.

This is a known problem.  Samba 2.0.x is not supported as a domain
controller for Windows 2000, and it won't ever be.  In fact, 2.0.x is
not supported as a domain controller for NT either, although lots of
people report that it works, somewhat.  2.0.x *is* supported as a
domain controller for a Win95/98 environment, but that is a *very*
different (much simpler) thing.

If you absolutely need Win2k domain controller support, you had better
try Samba-TNG.  Many aspects of it are known to work in version
2.5alpha (NOT 2.5.3alpha, the latest), but some things do not, such as
password changes from NT.

Peter