Samba Passwords

David van Suilichem davevs at webware.co.za
Sat Jul 15 18:39:05 GMT 2000

I have a RH 6.0 server setup with accounts for about 1500 users
(school), I use encrypted passwords. I would like users to be able to
change their samba ('Windows networking') passwords and at the same
time change their unix passwords (used for E-mail). I have the
following in my smb.conf file as per the given example:

unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

This seems to correspond with the actual chat send/receive dialogue
but it doesn't work. In windows it gives an error and when using:

smbpasswd -r linuxserver -U auser
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
machine acacia rejected the password change: Error was : The specified
password is invalid.
Failed to change password for auser

Password changes succeed when not trying to change the Unix password
as well.

Anyone got this working.

Also am having a problem with w2k joining the domain. Have succeeded
with NT WS but are there any tricks to getting w2k to work.

TIA

Dave van Suilichem