Mapping Drives from Windows 98 client to Sun Sever

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Thu Jul 13 15:02:25 GMT 2000

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Hawks, Steven L wrote:

> We have a Sun box physically located at another site running Solaris 2.6
>
> We perform administration remotely using telnet, CRT and others from Windows
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
remotely using ssh?

> 95/98 workstations.
> We are want to use Samba to allow mapping to certain directories on the Sun
> Server.
>
> The documentation I have seem to only reference installation of Samba on the
> Sun Server.

Yes, samba provides smb file & print sharing, which is a server function
and something all current windows versions already has (that of course
doesn't mean that it is impossible to port samba to run on windows ... :)

> Is it possible to map drives from a Windows 95/98 client to a Sun Server?

You can access the drives of a windows box from the sun box using a smb
client, such as smbclient :) which is included with samba. There are a few
other clients mentioned on the samba webpages.

You may run into networking problems (firewalls, security) since the
server isn't "local".

/Urban