Disk Size Issue

Tommy_Hubert at nv.blm.gov Tommy_Hubert at nv.blm.gov
Thu Jul 13 13:01:40 GMT 2000

I am sure this is not a problem, but more of a "can we do this" question.  We
are using Samba Version 2.0.6 and my problem is this:

We have one Samba server for a site, we NFS mount filesystems from various other
machines to the Samba server, we then create a directory on the Samba server and
then create links under that directory to each of the mounted filesystems we
want to share.  Then on the Win 95/98/NT/2K workstations we map to the
directory.  This makes sharing many filesystems fairly easy.  This has been OK
until we started having problems with "disk full" errors encountered by some
software.  My question is when we map to this directory it shows the map to be
16Mb in size, when in fact the filesystems linked under the directory total more
than 32Gb.  Is there anyway to tell Samba to show a set size for the map????

Here is a picture:

4 filesystems NFS mounted to one Samba server (system5):

/home1    (8Gb)     mounted from system1
/home2    (8Gb)          mounted from system2
/home3    (8Gb)          mounted from system3
/home4    (8Gb)          mounted from system4

In a directory called /homes (on system5) we link the above filesystems

/homes

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system        10 Jun 05 1999  home1 -> /home1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system        10 Jun 05 1999  home2 -> /home2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system        10 Jun 05 1999  home3 -> /home3
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system        10 Jun 05 1999  home4 -> /home4

Our smb.conf entry:

[home]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /homes
        read only = No

When mapped to the NT workstation the entry shows:

Name                Type                                Total Size     Free
Space
home on 'system5' (D:)   Network Connection                  16.0Mb
12.0Kb

Again this has only just started being a problem, but feel that it will increase
 with more usage.  We have too many file servers to map
each one for every user.  We have standardized our drive mapping on all NT
workstations by doing this with Samba.

Any ideas, recommendations, "tricks" or better ways of doing this would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tommy Hubert
Lead System Administrator