Why does this Samba configuration not work?

learningapache at my-deja.com learningapache at my-deja.com
Tue Jul 11 00:51:12 GMT 2000

I want to thank everyone who took the time to help me with my Samba
configuration problem.  Many of you helped me finally zero in on the
problem, which WAS ... **drumroll** ... a faulty Windows 95 TCP/IP
stack!

At least, that's what I think it was.  After discovering that NetBIOS
was NOT being carried over TCP/IP even though Win95 SAID it was, I went
to each machine and upgraded them to Winsock 2 (they were all running
1.1).  Some machines immediately could see the shared Linux directory.
On others, I had to rip practically everything out of their Network
control panel, reinstall TCP/IP, MS Client, and File/Print Sharing, and
upgrade them to Winsock 2.

Now all Win95 machines on my LAN can see the Linux shared drive (and
each other), and they're humming along nicely without NetBEUI.

So again, thanks to everyone who took the time to help!  Without your
messages, I would have thrown in the towel completely.