Win 98 shares mounted on Linux box don't update

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Mon Jul 10 23:06:52 GMT 2000

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> The problem comes when someone else (say the user sitting at "acct")
> adds files to or removes files from the "public" directory. If he adds
> a file to the directory and I then issue an "ls," the newly-added file
> does not get listed on my box. If he removes a file from "public" and I

It's a caching problem in smbfs (not sure exactly which problem).

> I'm running Samba 2.0.7 (things were the same with 2.0.5; I thought
> an upgrade might cure the problem) on a fairly stock RedHat 6.1

smbmount only does the mount() call and sets up connections to the server.
After that it is mostly kernel related (smbfs). So you have been upgrading
the wrong thing (well, not a complete waste of time 2.0.7 smbmount is a
lot better and more stable than 2.0.5 :)

> (kernel 2.2.12-20). Thinking this might be a common problem, I tried

Could you try upgrading to 2.2.16? I'm sure there are rpm's for that
somewhere or compile your own. The directory caching in smbfs has been
modified and hopefully improved since 2.2.12.

It still has one known problem, but try 2.2.16 and if that doesn't work I
can send you a oneline patch that tries to make things better.

/Urban