smbmount on NT machine times-out

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Mon Jul 10 22:37:01 GMT 2000

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Dan Falconer wrote:

> 	I've got seven Linux boxes, and three NT boxes, all that have to
> be mounted via smbmount for a backup that we run through one of the
> Linux machines ("SPEEDY") via BRU.  While Speedy has no problem
> keeping the mounts for all the Linux machines, the mounts for NT
> machines will timeout after a short period.  I run a "df" and get an

I think that samba keeps the tcp connection open here and that the NT
drops it after a while (either way is fine).

> Input/Output error on all the NT machines.  I have to unmount and
> remount them several times, until the backup gets to that machine.
> Does anybody know of any way to either tell the NT machines or the
> Linux machine that it's mounted on to keep the share open?  Thanks in
> advance.

You forgot one important detail, smbmount from which samba version?

You should be running 2.0.7, previous versions may have problems with
smbmount dying on a debug printout when reconnecting. You could try this
patch if you have servers that go down and clients that try to access the
downed server.

http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/samba-2.0.7-smbmount-connection.patch
	(let me know if you use it and it works/doesn't work).

That NT even drops the connection may be a smbfs keepalive problem.

/Urban