ADDITIONAL ISSUE

Bob Agnew rmagnew at ci.las-vegas.nv.us
Wed Jul 5 22:12:11 GMT 2000

Andrew:

One additional issue that came up with trying to configure the SMB.CONF
file:

The "Using Samba" book from O'Reilly says to start up my browser and go to
"http://localhost:901, to use the SWAT package.

This did not work.  My IE 5.0 came back with an unable to locate or connect
the specified host.

I know the /etc/services file was modified correctly, I checked it
specifically after
the package(s) were added.

Another major issue may be related to the fact that the NT logon
name/password
may NOT be on the UNIX side - as with all the multitude of ArcView users who
know
nothing about UNIX or that their data is coming from a UNIX system.  Also,
MY OWN
NT logon name/password is different from the one I use on the UNIX side.  I
did this
'cause I am the System Administrator for the Sun/Solaris/GIS environment and
need
"rights" more specific and robust than the non-System Admins.  It appears
that this
causes another issue, too - related to the inability to re-connect
successfully after
logging out and re-logging back in...?

Thanx,
Robert M. Agnew