Recommended Share Configuration

Kirk Shimek Kirk.Shimek at trw.com
Wed Jul 5 22:30:27 GMT 2000

Samba 2.0.7 / AIX 4.3.3  Works as expected currently

data path is /home.   Using the special "share" of [homes]

End users would like the ability to see each other's $HOME i.e. /home/joeblow
browseable by all other users on the system or even just the users of the same
group. But have write ability restricted to the owner of the directory. In this case
joeblow can write/change /home/joeblow.  Or do I need to specify individual shares
for each user and have generic "transfer" directory that would allow the owners
of files to copy into this "transfer" share and then the intended other user copy
out of this "transfer" share?

What are the specific line items that need to be changed and their values.
i.e. Do I need to set "create mask", "force create mode", "security mode"
to be different then default.  Also the UNIX perms don't seem to allow this if they
are set to anything different from "777" on the parent directory.  I would hope that
the underlying UNIX perms of each user's directory could be left at the standard
setting of "755" or "744" because these users still log into the UNIX environment
to run certain functions.  Is this possible?

Thanks for any responses or anyone who can point me to applicable documentation.

Kirk Shimek
TRW Automotive Electronics / BCS