setting invalid

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Wed Jul 5 19:20:02 GMT 2000

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, John W. Lemons III wrote:

> umount/mount (with the details in fstab) works fine for me.  I'm just a
> little annoyed the mounts seem to fail at random.  :)

You shouldn't have to umount/mount manually. When you mount with 'mount -t
smbfs ...' a process named mount.smbfs (possibly smbmount) should hang
around as a daemon (check this). The idea is that it should remount this
for you.

So, do you get the "bad message":
	smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
or the "good message":
	smb_retry: new pid=1701, generation=2
?

If you get the bad message then mount.smbfs is probably gone (check this)
and it needs to be fixed (try 2.0.7, then try the patch I linked to).

If you get the good message and still have to umount/mount for things to
work then this is a new, unknown and exciting error.

Note that it is possible to get several "good" messages while things are
working, and then one "bad" and then things stop working. That matches the
"bad" case above.

> I asked because I assumed that this question had been answered multiple
> times.  :)

About a dozen now I think ... :)

/Urban