setting invalid

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Wed Jul 5 18:19:28 GMT 2000

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, John W. Lemons III wrote:

> I keep seeing this in my logs:
>   Jul  5 12:37:29 gateway kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting
> invalid
>
> What have I screwed up?

Nothing, except some missing details in this report I think (I assume you
get a smb_retry message too, if you don't then something is wrong).

smb_trans2_request: result=-5, setting invalid
smb_retry: new pid=1701, generation=2

The above is simply smbfs/smbmount renewing a connection that has been
terminated for some reason (new pid & generation is a success message,
"smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3" would be an error).

It's a bit too verbose perhaps, but it's also a common place for failures.

If things do stop working, could you:
a) try using smbmount/smbmnt from samba-2.0.7
b) if that doesn't help (or you already do), try this patch that tries to
   make smbmount survive reconnection attempts during server reboots.
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/samba-2.0.7-smbmount-connection.patch

> Also, any news on when the search stuff will be back up?

No idea, but we all miss it.

/Urban