samba 2.06 on slackware 7

Dan Malcolm dmalcolm at hiwaay.net
Sun Jan 30 19:51:53 GMT 2000

I have done part of this.  I installed Samba 2.0.6 on a new Slackware 7 installation.  Slackware places its files different than Samba 2.0.6 default.  Since I prefer default settins as much as possible, I stuck with that.
You need to change /etc/rc.d/rc.samba to point to /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd & nmbd.  In addition, your config file will need to move from /etc to /usr/local/samba/lib.

For the man pages I inserted /usr/local/samba/man as the the first path in /etc/profile.  This lets man find the 2.0.6 man pages first.  I really don't like this solution but didn't want to take the time to find the Slackware location for the Samba man pages.

I have no exerience with Samba 2.0.5a, but 2.0.6 is now supporting two virtual servers and 60 users with 4 differenf sets of permissions.

Hope this helps

You know you;ve landed gear-up if it takes full power to taxi!

Dan Malcolm
dmalcolm at hiwaay.net