Slow writes from MS-DOS LanMan Client to Samba server

Stefan Goerres stefan.goerres at xsc.net
Sun Jan 30 14:44:21 GMT 2000

Hello together,
well since I'm close to the despair with my problem I wanna
describe it here and maybe anyone has a good idea.
As the subject already told you I'm trying to connect from a
MS-DOS Client to my Samba Server. I'm running a smbd 2.0.5a on a
AMD K6-III machine which has two IBM 16.8 GB IDE drives and is
connected to over a 3com 3c905b with 100Mb to a fullduplex hub.
So far I can see everything with the Linux machine is running
pretty well. The other machine is a toshiba notebook Pentium
233MHz with a 5 GB IBM drive and a 3Com XFE575BT fullduplex
card. If I start the notebook with dos I can copy easyly and
fast (whatever fast is) from the linux machine to my c drive. If
I do this vice versa from my c drive to the Share i connected it
is so slow that you can drink 5 cups of coffe while copying 10MB
to the net. And when I say slow means this 2.5 minutes for 10
MB!!! The funny thing is I had found discussions about a tool
named IOZONE.EXE and got it. The test say 2 MB per sec in each
direction.. what is this?? I guess there are or must be some
problems in the stack? OS ? Whatever else?
I'm not sure about what is normally seen as fast troughput on
100Mb FD Network ... Can anybody give me some idea what are
reachably marks for NT and DOS clients?

So I'll paste some cuts from various ini files and hope anybody
can help me solving this problem.

---- smb.conf ----
socket options=TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=32678 SO_RCVBUF=32678
read size=8192
keep alive=30
guest account=nobody
printing=bsd
map to guest=Bad User
encrypt passwords=yes
workgroup=MZ
interfaces=212.xx.xx.xx/255.255.255.240
security=SERVER
unix password sync=yes
lm announce=no
netbios name=LNX-MZ-1
---- end of sniplet smb.conf ----

---- protocol.ini ----
[network.setup]
version=0x3110
netcard=ms$elnk3,1,MS$ELNK3,1
transport=tcpip,TCPIP
lana0=ms$elnk3,1,tcpip

[ms$elnk3]
DRIVERNAME=ELPC575$
INTERRUPT = 0xB
MAXTRANSMITS=40

[protman]
drivername=PROTMAN$
PRIORITY=MS$NDISHLP

[tcpip]
NBSessions=4
---- end of sniplet protocol.ini ----

---- tcputils.ini ----

[tcpglobal]
drivername=GLOBAL$

[sockets]
drivername=SOCKETS$
bindings=TCPIP_XIF
numsockets=4
numthreads=32
poolsize=3200
maxsendsize=1024

[telnet]
drivername=TELNET$
bindings=TCPIP_XIF
nsessions=0
max_out_sends=0
---- on of tcputils.ini ----

well I guess that's it..... thanks for helping ...

Stefan