User's Home Dir Looks Empty

tibor at lib.uaa.alaska.edu tibor at lib.uaa.alaska.edu
Fri Jan 28 22:06:45 GMT 2000

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.  I've got a user
who connects a drive on her Win95 laptop to her home directory on a Red
Hat 6.0 Linux box, and she now cannot see anything.  The unix file
permissions all appear fine, and explicitly sharing her home directory in
smb.conf is the only way I've found to fix the problem.

Oddly enough when I run smbstatus, I see that she's connected as nobody
instead of as her own username.  Unfortunately, using smbclient from my
own workstation, specifying the correct password I still see nothing in
her directory (although smbstatus does show me connected with the proper
username)

It only happens with this one user, and to me that just reeks of a
permissions problem, but I've checked and rechecked that.  The thing I
find odd is, as I mentioned above, that adding a separate share just for
her home directory fixes the problem.

Here's how I'm doing the home dir shares:

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

The Linux box is running the Samba-2.0.5a rpm from RH 6.0.

I did a quick search on the Samba list archives, and I didn't find
anything that sounded like what I'm running into.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician     Consortium Library             (907) 786-6050 fax