Win2K and Samba

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 28 18:42:00 GMT 2000

"M.Sapsed" wrote:

> "Keith G. Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > Tim.Brennan at coat.com wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Does anyone know the equivelant registry path to set plain text passwords?
> >
> > [cut]
> >
> > There's a question I have whenever this comes up: why not just enable
> > encryption on the Samba server side?  What have I missed?
>
> It's the small matter of converting 14,000 unix passwords to smb ones plus
> keeping them sync'ed subsequently that's stopping us!

Oh, is that all?  ;-)

I think I finally understand, after your message and rereading
ENCRYPTION.TXT:

(1) Samba never sees a cleartext password coming from a Windows box

(2) It sees the hashed password, but can't store this in /etc/passwd,
because a different hashing scheme is used than what Unix/Linux uses.

(3) So it has to keep it in smbpasswd, necessitating keeping stuff in
sync.

Is that right?

Interesting.  Only thing I see that would integrate the two would be
Samba entering the thing into passwd (maybe an extra field?) and Unix
login being able to deal with the Windows hashing scheme.  Wonder if
anyone's worked on that?