Open File Read/Write permissions?

Shawn Lothrop slothrop at boston-engineering.com
Fri Jan 28 15:48:20 GMT 2000

I am trying to setup a samba server on a DEC Alpha using RedHat Linux 6.1
with Samba 2.0.5, and I'm running into one major problem.  Whenever a
particular application, Pro/Engineer, saves a file to a samba share the file
remains open for about 30 seconds with read-only status.  The problem is
that while samba keeps the file open with read-only status the application
cannot see the file on the samba share.  Once the file has been closed the
application can see the file and everything is o.k., but it takes about 30
seconds.  MS office documents work fine and show up with read/write status
while open.

Is there any way to force samba to give all open files read/write
permissions?

I have successfully installed Redhat Linux 6.1 with Samba 2.0.5 on an Intel
box and that setup doesn't have this problem.  When saving files from
Pro/Engineer to the Intel samba box SWAT reports the open files as having
read/write permissions.

I have tried all different types of config setups.

Is there a difference between Samba for i386 and a DEC Alpha?

What determines the read/write status of an open file?

Thanks,

Shawn Lothrop
Boston Engineering
http://www.boston-engineering.com