smb server on linux; clients on windows

Rajesh Kumar rajeshs at futsoft.com
Thu Jan 27 00:39:33 GMT 2000

Hi,

I'm a rookie to the samba world. I'm trying to setp a file-server using
samba to share the filesystem. The server (smb daemon) runs on Linux
(Redhat 5.2) and the clients are Windows97 or Windows98.

The smb daemon seems to start up and run Ok. The server name appears fine
on the Windows explorer screen. On double-clicking the server name, the
directories that I added in smb.conf appear on the Windows explorer screen.
However, if I click on any directory (to get into the shared filesystem), I
get an error. Windows reports a "share name not found" error. But the samba
log (/var/log/samba/log.smb) has an entry saying that authorisation is
denied.

I am entering the correct password but keep getting the same error. I've
even tried having no passwords but still the same problem.

I would appreciate any help on this. If you've setup a similar environment,
I would be very grateful if I could get your number to talk to you over a
telephone to describe this exactly and try and get a solution.

Thanks a lot
Rajesh