nis passwords

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Jan 26 22:54:35 GMT 2000

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 Alan Neiman <alann at ihs.com> wrote:

> Has anyone come up with a creative way to us nis passwords for both
> encripted and non-encripted passwords?    Or a way to convert the nis
> password table to the smbpassword file, without having each user to login
> and change their password?

I've been working on expanding pam_smbpass to include a 'migrate' option which
could prove useful in this regard.  The idea is that, on a system that
supports PAM, when a user is successfully authenticated via password
authentication the cleartext password is then available to other PAM modules
for further processing--essentially the same as with Samba's 'update
encrypted' option, only the process works with any service.

I should have a version of pam_smbpass available for download soon that
provides this functionality.  I just have to document its usage first. :D  If
you're in an environment where PAM is not a clear option, I'm not sure if
there are other tricks out there that people are using to do this--perhaps
because I've always been one to convert an environment to use PAM in a
situation like that.. :)

HTH,
-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer