Joining NT domains

Kenneth W. Arthur kenneth.w.arthur at kzoo.edu
Wed Jan 26 14:38:03 GMT 2000

I was having a problem with getting my samba server to join my NT domain.
The smbpasswd command was giving me the following error:

[alpha]root: /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -j USERS -r beta.kzoo.edu
modify_trust_password: machine BETA.KZOO.EDU rejected the session setup. Error
 was : code 131.
2000/01/26 09:26:40 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password f
or domain USERS.
Unable to join domain USERS.

Since I saw in the archives that other people have encountered this, but
didn't see any solutions, I thought I'd pass on what I figured out.  It was
actually very simple.  The netbios name for "beta.kzoo.edu" was not the
FQDN but was simply "beta".  Thus if I changed the command to:

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -j USERS -r beta

everything worked fine.  This assumes, though, that "beta" is resolved to
"beta.kzoo.edu" when on machine "alpha".  If it isn't, you might have to
tweak your DNS or /etc/hosts file as well.

Thanks,
Ken Arthur

Kenneth W. Arthur (K'88)		voice: 616-337-7241
Associate Director For Systems	fax: 616-337-7395
Kalamazoo College			email: karthur at kzoo.edu
1200 Academy Street			www: http://www.kzoo.edu
Kalamazoo, MI  49006-3295