Strange MS Excel permission problem

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
Tue Jan 25 04:24:24 GMT 2000

i think this problem is due to the fact that excel, and other ms office
applications, will delete the old file and create a new file when
rewriting an existing file, thereby setting the ownership and permissions
to those implied by the share configuration.

try defining your share something like this:

[sharename]
path = /some/path
valid users = @developers
write list = @developers
force group = developers
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775
security mask = 0777
force security mode = 0000
directory security mask = 0777
force directory security mode = 0000

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \