Remote win98 refusing to connect to samba server

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Mon Jan 24 18:53:59 GMT 2000

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:12:59 +1100, hai scritto:

>>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q141/8/58.asp
>>delete the key:
>>HKLM\Software\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode Net =20
>>AutoLogon
>>
>I don't have this key on the machine.  I can certainly get a logon prompt
>if I set it up that way, but it doesn't make the problem go away.  On W95

Some win98SE's has a problem: even if you specify "ms networks" as
primary logon, you don't get the network login prompt at boot-up and you
cannot access the network, unless you logoff/logon and then get the
login prompt.

This is caused by the above reg key. Deleting it solves the problem.
If you don't have the key then your problem is another one.

>From a dos window:
nbtstat -n
what's the output? See if it's different from another win9x (win95/win98
are the same).

giulioo at pobox.com