Samba speed and connectivity problems

Andrei Boros andrix at fx.ro
Mon Jan 24 10:30:59 GMT 2000

 I'm running Samba 2.0.3 on a Linux Slackware 3.4 machine. Compared to Win95
when it shares the same disks (vfat mounted in linux) it is slower, butnot that
much. However, when I try to use a live transfer like playing a MP3 or a MOV
reading it from the Samba server, I have a lot of interruptions in the playback,
although the read transfer rate is significantly larger that that required by
the playback.
 I timed around 300KB/s at file transfer with file copy, read from server, but I
can't playback a 115KB/s MPEG file.
 I've tried a few tweaks as explained in speed.txt but no improvement from this
point of view.

 VFAT partitions are mounted with no additional options (like buffer sizes,
etc).

========

 Also, another odd problem is that sometimes, after the systems runs perfectly
for a few hours, from a Win95 station I get "computer or sharename not found"
when I try to access a shared resources. Locally, with smbclient, there is no
problem and from another linux box also with samba, I can access that machine.
Log file doesn't show anything when that error happened.

 And this happens randomly.

 Killing the samba server and restarting it solves the problem.

--
Andrix
E-mail: mailto:andrix at fx.ro
Web   : http://members.tripod.com/andrei_b