Remote win98 refusing to connect to samba server

Elias Lofgren albion at diku.dk
Sun Jan 23 22:13:50 GMT 2000

Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at execpc.com> wrote:
>Do you get a login prompt when you start Windows 98?  This is normaly
>where you log in.  If you do not get the prompt, go to the control
>panel, select networking, and add client for Microsoft network.

No, I am not getting the login prompt, but I do have Microsoft Network
client enabled.  Originally the box had something called "Microsoft
Family" installed as a network client, but I deleted it (assuming that
"client for MS Network" would be sufficient).

>From the sounds of things, you it is probably not installed.
>Also, check that the primary network logon is Client for Microsoft
>Network.

Yes, the primary network logon is set to "Client for Microsoft Network".

>You can also check the start menu, to see if it offers a logon option.
>I know when you are logged into a network, it offers a logoff option.
>(I would test it now, but I need the network connection...)
>
>Mikkel

Yes, I get the logoff option ("Log off USER" in the Start menu)

I have set up the new machine just like the others we have, the only
difference is that this is the first Windows 98 box (all the others are
Windows 95).

Regards,

Elias