non-root users cannot use smbpasswd...

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Sat Jan 22 00:26:48 GMT 2000

Paul Hewitt wrote:

> ..we are running a samba-2.0.6 server on a Sun
> E3000, to provide file and print service (but not
> logon service) to users on PCs.  It works fine
> except for an enormously annoying problem:
> ordinary (nonroot) users are not able to change
> their own samba passwd.  When a user invokes
> smbpasswd he or she gets the following response:
>
> euler$ /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd
> Old SMB password:
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
> machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the tconX on the IPC$
> share. Error was : ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password
> - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session
> Setup are invalid.).
> Failed to change password for phewitt
>
> Help!  We have over 800 users come and go each
> semester, and this overworked administrator cannot
> change everyone's passwd for them!  Any ideas may
> be useful...

It works fine for me on a linux system running 2.0.6 and
an IRIX system running pre2.0.7

Do you have entries in your smb.conf for interfaces, hosts allow
or hosts deny?

Is there an existing entry for the user in the smbpasswd file?
You will get that exact error message if a user tries to change a
password in smbpasswd that doesn't exist. The message is a
little confusing but it is correct that his old password is
wrong if it never existed. :-)

herb - Samba team