SAMBA WINS and Dynamic DNS

Steve Brazill yubby at lanset.com
Fri Jan 21 22:39:17 GMT 2000

I'm sure that I'm not the first person to begin integrating SAMBA's WINS server abilities and the new BIND 8 'dynamic' DNS functionality.   I downloaded the sample copy of "dns_update" by Stephen Rothwell <sfr at linuxcare.com> which provided a good starting point for creating the interface between Samba 2.0.6's WINS update notification and dynamic DNS updates.   I have hopefully expanded and improved on the usefullness of the update feature by 'fattening up' the script to take a lot more instances into account.  BUT, as I read thru my update log, I'm beginning to wonder how many different
'types' of WINS updates can actually take place.   I've now taken into account the 'broadcast' (255.255.255.255) entries that appear on 'GROUP' notifications and filtered them out,  but I'd like to know where I could get a complete list and 'order' of events that WINS reacts to and will forward update entries to my script for (i.e. for what circumstance does WINS output a 'delete' operation for a workstation '00' entry)...

P.S. Where should I forward and/or attach a copy of my "dns_update" script,  and is anyone interested in seeing how my 'local' private net is configured for DNS/WINS/DHCP ?