\\<Samba-Server>\nobody : feature or bug ?

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Fri Jan 21 14:42:20 GMT 2000

Hello!

I just noticed a behavior of samba I am wundering about:

I have a Samba-Server with a [homes] section.
As user "barth" I conect to this using
   \\<Samba-Server>\<any username>
permission is checked for "barth" with his password and access is
granted with the rights of barth to the HOME-directory of
<any username>.

So far so good. This also works with the following system-accounts:
bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/sbin:
adm:*:3:4:adm:/var/adm:
lp:*:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:
sync:*:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync
shutdown:*:6:0:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
halt:*:7:0:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
mail:*:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail: