ms word and samba 2.0.6 problems

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Fri Jan 21 13:06:48 GMT 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:50:41 -0500 (EST), hai scritto:

> eak failed for file summary.doc (dev = b, inode = 215094).
>[2000/01/20 15:00:02, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(992)
>  oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.

>in case it has any bearing, this is on a linux samba server (redhat 6.0,
>samba-2.0.6).  however, we see similar problems on both this server and

>however, if this works, is the only solution to this problem to disable
>oplocks and suffer the performance loss as described in Speed.txt?
>does this problem suggest a flaw in oplock handling in samba-2.0.6?
This is a samba problem, it seems. In 2.0.6 the code has been changed a
lot to solve this very specific problem. Don't know if others have seen
improvements, I did not.
So "oplocks = no" is a standard setting in my smb.conf (linux rh6).
Teoretically you should get a performance decrease, however do you
prefer this or random applications lockups?

Note that Samba faq says that a reason for this may be bad network
cabling; however since win9x servers in the same lan don't have this
problem I doubt my problem is network cabling.

giulioo at pobox.com