SAMBA digest 2385 / setting samba when you are a dhcp client

Axel Neumann amn at cromemco.com
Fri Jan 21 08:28:54 GMT 2000

Evan Panagiotopoulos wrote:

>Last year I used samba as my Linux file server and my students and I were
very happy with it. Now >"they" have connected the lab to the district's
WAN and they haven't provided us with a file server. I >install Red
>Hat Linux 5.2 with dual boot on a computer just to see if it can be done
and I don't have a lot of success >with it.
>When Linux boots up and it starts the smb and nmb processes it waits there
for a very long time. I read >the address it is given and I can ping it
from a computer but the  same computer when I click on Network
>Neighborhood I get an error message that a network doesn't exist, or
something close to that.
>Do you have any suggestions?

Hi,

If I understood you correctly, your Samba server receives its IP-Address
from a DHCP server. To use Samba in such an environment you have to use
Samba 2.0.6. It can deal with logical interface names instead of physical
IP-Addresses. You have to specify "interfaces = net0" in your smb.conf,
assuming that net0 is the logical name of your network interface.

Best regards,

Axel Neumann