Samba and /etc/shadow.

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Fri Jan 21 06:29:51 GMT 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:36:47 +1100, hai scritto:

>> > I have Samba 2.0.6 on a Redhat 6.1 linux box.
>> > How can I make samba use the /etc/shadow file
>> > for authenticating users?
>> > Reading the archives I assumed there should be
>> > a compile-time option I should set, but I found
>> > no such option.
Samba uses pam (configure --with-pam), so that you can authenticate
against /etc/shadow. I think this is the default if you don't use
encrypted passwords (you don't need to recompile, samba that comes with
redhat should already be compiled to use pam).

However if you authenticate against the linux passwd database, then you
have to turn password encryption off on all win9x and winnt machines.

I think it's by far better to manually adjust the smbpasswd, then to
have to edit the registry of all win workstations. The golden rule is:
don't touch win machines if you don't have to :-)

giulioo at pobox.com