ms word and samba 2.0.6 problems

Eric S. Johnson esj at cs.fiu.edu
Thu Jan 20 16:03:39 GMT 2000

>a plea to anyone who is using ms word from ms office 97 to access word
>documents on a samba 2.0.6 server from nt workstation 4 clients...
>
>can you send me the relevant smb.conf section for any samba shares that
>you use to read and write shared ms word documents?  i'd like to know if
>you're doing anything funky with locking or something like that.

We have also seen this problem. Some sort of strange locking problem
with word files. We have seen this with samba 2.0.6 running on solaris
2.6 as server with winnt 4.0 SP 4 clients. Below is our the relevant
stanza. Nothing special.

The files accessed are on a NFS file system on the samba server box.
The NFS server for the files is solaris 2.6 also.

Lots of noise in the log files about "Unable to get oplock".
The server seems to time out and then the client reconnects with the
same request, leading to numerous connections from the client, all stuck.
I can provide more info and logs if needed. We are able to reproduce
the problem.

Because of this we have backed down to 1.9.18. It does not exhibit
this problem.

We have *not* seen this with our linux samba 2.0.6 servers.

[homes]
   comment = CS Home Directories
   browseable = no
   public = no