ms word and samba 2.0.6 problems

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
Thu Jan 20 14:44:26 GMT 2000

a plea to anyone who is using ms word from ms office 97 to access word
documents on a samba 2.0.6 server from nt workstation 4 clients...

can you send me the relevant smb.conf section for any samba shares that
you use to read and write shared ms word documents?  i'd like to know if
you're doing anything funky with locking or something like that.

i'm trying to allow a group to share word documents using a samba 2.0.6
server and this share definition:

[sharename]
path = /home/share/path
valid users = @group
write list = @group
force group = group
create mask = 0770
directory mask = 0770

and we're experiencing all sorts of problems with word being unable to
read or write documents.  it seems the error messages from word are
different, and incorrect, each time (file is read-only, disk is write
protected, file is already open by another user, etc).

however, we only see these problems when running ms word 97 on nt
workstation 4.0 clients.  windows 98 clients seem to work fine.

does this sound like a samba problem, or does my ms word installation
likely need some updating or patching?

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \