request: howto? or maybe Samba code

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Thu Jan 20 07:23:59 GMT 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:48:08 +1100, hai scritto:

>Write a script that processes output from nmblookup, resolves NetBIOS
>names (DNS?), and then issues a separate smbclient -M command to each
>host.
>Anyone has better solution?

If you are "fluent" with tcpdump/netcat ... then you can take this as a
starting point. I couldn't :)

== http://front.linuxcare.com.au/tridge/diary/
Marcus dropped by the office to remind me about an email he sent asking
how to do bcast WinPopup messages. We looked at how WinXX did it with
tcpdump-smb and found it is a mailslot to UDP/138. I hacked up a file
with the appropriate data and tested it with netcat, managing to send
messages to Win9X and NTws with no problem. I found that the message
limit is about 512 bytes - quite a bit larger than the size that the
WinPopup GUI can do. If you send larger than that to NT then it rejects
the message. Win98 gets a fatal error in WinPopup. Some devious person
could probably turn that into a exploit if they wanted to.
==

giulioo at pobox.com