Windows 2000 RC2 problem in printing (Samba 2.0.6)

vincent kuo vincentkuo at netscape.net
Thu Jan 20 04:05:21 GMT 2000

Dear sir:
    There was one problem which bothered me for a long time.
    I used the Red Hat 5.2 with kernel 2.0.36 (gcc 2.7.2.3) and samba-2.0.3,
samba-2.0.5a for a period of time. The Linux was treated as the Samba server.
All of the file/printer sharing from the Linux samba server to the MS-Windows
95/98/NT clients are OK. It only got problems in the Windows 2000 (since
Beta3, now RC2) as the client. The Samba server always let the windows 2000
appear a error message. (something like "The remote procedure call failed and
did not execute.".) But this problem doesn't exist when I use Red Hat Linux
6.0/6.1 with samba-2.0.5a/samba-2.0.6. ----> But I want the solution in Red
Hat 5.2 (Kernel 2.0.36) with the samba and windows 2000.

    Fortunately, I download the latest samba-2.0.6 from the ftp site:
        "ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/Binary_Packages/redhat/SRPMS/"
    to get the newest source RPM and I can rebuild it as a RPM under Red Hat
5.2. (I remark all of the smbmount part to pass the RPM build.) After I
install this RPM, it could solve the problem which bother me for a long time.
    --> But, I found one problem in this version. All of the file sharing
actions are OK. But if the windows 2000 client start to use the samba shared
printer, it will appear one popup box "You must enter the password to use this
printer "http://172.16.3.12" username:____, password:____". But the security
check had already passed when I used the file sharing. (I could access all of
the shared files.) And whatever I keyin the username and password, this
message continue appear. It seems take no effect when I keyin the
username/password.
    I can click "cancel" to disappear the box and continue my printing job.
It's OK. But the popup box always appear when I print a job. Although I change
to another windows 98's printer, this message still appear. But if I power
down the samba server, this message won't appear anymore.
    --> I think that might be the samba send some packets at the daemon start
to let the windows 2000 appear that security check box. (although the current
printer in not the samba server one) Because I didn't found any packet in the
tcpdump while the popup box appear.
    Another one thing, because the http server in the linux did not allow the
user to connect with the pure IP address. If I change the http configuration
and restart the httpd. And keyin the correct http user. The popup box won't
appear after then.
    I don't know why. I even remove the "swat" part. It didn't solve this
problem. And the samba log doesn't appear any abnormal messages. I wish
someone could solve this problem for me. If there anything I could help, don't
feel bother to ask me. Thanks. Waiting for any information.

Best Regards

Vincent Kuo
2000/01/20

p.s.: my mail address is "vincentkuo at netscape.net"