does 2.0.6 fix kill -HUP logrotation?

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Wed Jan 19 20:53:28 GMT 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:02:43 +1100, hai scritto:

>2.0.5 (on linux) has a small annoyance in that, when the log files get
>rotated, kill -HUP won't point the daemons to the new log files. They keeps
>logging to the old ones until they are stopped/started. Does 2.0.6 fix this?
This is my personal experience:
- now, after the hup, new connections go to new logs, active connections
keep going to the old logs.
- if you rotate the log with logrotate, telling it to gzip the files,
then samba stops logging completely till restart.

Since I rotate the logs at 4:00am (noone is connected to the server)
this is now my logrotate script:

/var/log/samba/log.nmb {
    postrotate
        /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart