Missing smb.conf

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Wed Jan 19 17:20:23 GMT 2000

Jarle Igeltjørn wrote:

> I hope that someone can help me with this:
> I hav always used Samba by installing the binaries. That has worked
> well.
> But now I need the SSL-option - so I have to install it from the bottom.
>
> I use redhad 6.0 - and samba 2.0.6.
> First I removed the rpm of the existing installation(and deleted the
> smb.conf in /etc).
>
> Then I gunziped/untared the file in tmp.  In the source directory I did
> the following:
> /configure --with-ssl
> make clean
> make
> make install
>
> Everything without any error-messages.  But when I look in the folder
> /usr/local/samba/lib/ it is only the codpages that have been installed -
> not the smb.conf and other files that is needed.  The file is not
> located under /etc/ either.  And I don't know if there are other missing
> files either!
>
> If someone have any ideas - I would appreciated it!
>
> Regards
> Jarle Igeltjoern
> jarle at chimney.no

The better way to create binaries for "supported distributions" is to
go to the packaging/<distribution> directory and follow the instructions
found there. There is a packaging/RedHat directory that contains
scripts to create an rpm package that you can then install.

Optionally just grab the missing files from that directory.

herb - Samba team