Conflict between NT-PDC and Samba 2.0.6

Bjart Kvarme bjart.kvarme at usit.uio.no
Wed Jan 19 09:17:44 GMT 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, John LeMay wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I'm having the same problem here with Samba 2.0.5a on a Linux box
> fighting with NTS4/SP5. I'd love to find a resolution!
>
> "Michael St. Laurent" wrote:
> >
> > I've got a Solaris 2.6 SPARC system running Samba 2.0.6 and an NT-4.0sp5
> > PDC system.  If Samba is running on the Sun system when the NT PDC is
> > rebooted it (the NT system) complains that there is already another PDC in
> > the domain.  This should not be as far as I can see as I've tried
> > specifically to configure the Samba systems not to do this and in fact
> > prior to upgrading to Samba version 2.0.6 (from 1.9.18p10) it did not.  I
> > don't remember making any relevant configuration changes during said period
> > but have included my smb.conf file below for your consideration.  Please
> > help... is this a Samba bug or just misconfiguration!?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > # Samba config file created using SWAT

> >         domain logons = Yes

Remove this line from your smb.conf file. It will make samba register the
DOMAIN#1c name, and on startup the NT PDC checks whith the owners of all
1c names in the same domain to see if there already is an operating PDC in
its domain. The nmbd code in samba 2.0 is far better than 1.9.x and samba
2.0 fools the NT PDC to belive ist domain name is occupied by another PDC.