byte locking bug?

Jon Mitchell jrm at freedom.swc.com
Tue Jan 18 16:23:32 GMT 2000

I'm having trouble with file locking in DOS over Samba.  The trouble is
Samba seems to be translating my lock request to a different range.
Samba server is a linux box running 2.0.5a and clients are win95 or win98.
The win32 call that I'm making to lock the file is called LockFile.  We
use this regularly, and lock a byte just before the 2GB range.

We attempt to put a lock on the byte 0x7ffffff0 from one of the clients,
however when we run a UNIX program that reveals where the lock was put on
the file it indicates that the lock was put at 0x3ffffff0.  This same
program works correctly with a number of win95 NFS clients against linux
and other UNIX's NFS servers.

Is this a bug or a feature?  I thought I read something about samba
translating lock requests from DOS due to UNIX using a signed bit for
locking, but I wasn't sure if that was related or not.  What I need is for
UNIX clients and DOS clients to be able to access this file at the same
time using this type of locking.

--
Jon Mitchell
Systems Engineer, Subject Wills and Company
jrm at swc.com