get_share_modes problem

Jon Mitchell jrm at freedom.swc.com
Mon Jan 17 19:28:33 GMT 2000

I have samba 2.0.5a running on Openserver 5.0.5 with the latest patches
installed.  I got this specific version from Skunkware (SCO's
distribution of Open Source binary packages).  AFAIK, they make no changes
to the actual source.  I have no problems with using samba for name
service and printing, however with file sharing I am having some strange
problems.  I sporadically get problems like read only access messages from
Word and Excel when trying to open files.

In the smb.log I get the following sequence of messages:

shm_get_share_modes(213)
  get_share_modes: process 15924 no longer exists
shm_get_share_modes(241)
  get_share_modes: file with dev 168 inode 139 empty

I noticed other people with similiar issues, but often they had a line
above this revealing what the actual problem was (like malloc failed or
something).  I turned my debug level up and all the messages above this
are informational and from my reading of them, completely normal
connection setup steps.  I'm not out of (or even into) swap, and I can't
think of any other steps in debugging this.

Any help would be appreciated!

--
Jon Mitchell
Systems Engineer, Subject Wills and Company
jrm at swc.com