Samba Processes taking 95% of CPU

Hugh Evans hevans at morrice.com
Sun Jan 16 22:09:03 GMT 2000

I am a new Linux/Unix user - had Linux installed by a consultant.
Everything ran nicely for two weeks or so then Samba started acting
strangely.

RH 6.0 Linux Server / NT 4.0 SP5 clients - suddenly I am seeing a
user Samba processes taking 95% -98% of CPU - basically bringing the
server to its knees (users cannot authenticate and shares are not
available). The user is not even logged onto the system. I can kill
the process and generally everything goes back to normal - but about
50% of the time Samba at root will shoot up to 95% CPU. I try to kill
samba at root with KILL PID but am not able to kill the process.
Requires a restart to clear up the mess. Has happened once a day over
the last week. This can happen when I have only two NT users logged
onto the system (typically I have 30-40 users during work hours).

If anyone can offer some suggestions on how to troubleshoot this
problem and suggest solutions.. I would appreciate it.

Best regards,
Hugh Evans