Problems logging in

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Sat Jan 15 23:13:15 GMT 2000

Herb Lewis wrote:

> You are running in Plain Text Password mode. Are you sure there is a
> entry in the /etc/password file for "sven"? If this only happens on
> one machine (that is always used by "sven"), you need to apply the
> plain text password registry update on that machine.

I meant to say "isn't" not "is" an entry in /etc/passwd

If sven is in the password file you will try to authenticate in
user mode security for sven. All other users will be mapped to
the guest account because of your "map to guest = Bad User" entry.
If the client machines don't have the registry fix, no password
will work for any name in /etc/passwd.

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Strategic Software Organization              Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177