Problems logging in

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Sat Jan 15 23:00:17 GMT 2000

Henning Sprang wrote:

> Hello People,
> I am experiencing some weird Problems using samba on a linux server that is
> supposed to connect the windows an Macintosh world in our production team.
> So far everything works fine - i've set up a directory called "comon" that
> is accessible from almost every Windwos workstation and almost every user.
> The problem is "almost". There is actually one user, that is unable to
> connect to the given directory on the samba server. This directory is
> common and accessible to every user - when i log in as "gast" or any other
> name on any of the windows machines and chose the samba server in network
> neighborhood, i directly see the "common" directory, without any problems,
> and without beeing asked for any password. But then when i try to log in on
> the windows machine as user "sven", i cannot get to the "common" directory
> on the samba server - when i chose the samba server in network
> neighborhood, i directly get asked for a "password
> for  //sambaserver/IPC$"  - which i don't have, and anything i type in is
> wrong. None of the other users which i have no problems with has an account
> on the Linux machine - and all of them work on the same machines where it
> doesn't work with the "sven" account.
> What am i doing wrong?

You are running in Plain Text Password mode. Are you sure there is an
entry in the /etc/password file for "sven"? If this only happens on
one machine (that is always used by "sven"), you need to apply the
plain text password registry update on that machine.

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Strategic Software Organization              Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177