Q: Solaris, two interfaces, outgoing smb fed throug 'wrong' interface!

Fredrik Lundholm dol at ce.chalmers.se
Fri Jan 14 23:18:35 GMT 2000

Hello!

Problem:
 Outbound data goes through default interface instead of specified,
 causing congestion.
Question:
 How can I instruct samba to tell Solaris to SEND data through specified
 network interface?

Detailed:
I have a solaris filesserver with two network interfaces, hme0 and hme1.
I'd like NFS to use hme0 and smb hme1. I intsruct samba to only listen
for connections on the IP-address associated with eth1. (as os 2.0.6 I
actually specify interfaces=hme1, I also set socket address).
Both ports are connected (with unique ethernet numbers) to the same network
(different switches though). The routing table looks like this:

server# netstat -rn
Routing Table:
  Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref   Use   Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
129.17.0.0           129.17.20.245         U        3   8739  hme0
129.17.0.0           129.17.20.94          U        2      0  hme1
224.0.0.0            129.17.20.245         U        3      0  hme0
default              129.17.1.4            UG       0      4
127.0.0.1            127.0.0.1             UH       0   3596  lo0

All SMB traffice is recieved through hme1 which is dandy, however client reads
are fed out through the hme0 interface, with from address specified as, in
this case 129.17.20.94  (hme1). This causes congestion on hme0 which is where
we serve nfs.
Solution 1:
I could probably set up static routing records for all hosts likely to use
smb, but this is highly impractical because of disperse and intermixed
IP-adress utilization between NFS/SMB.
(it's not fun to manually add 150 routes!)
Solution 2:
Buy gigabit ethernet and be done with it, sorry not an option at this time.
*******************PREFERED SOLUTION:
Instruct samba to send data through hme1 interface, can this be done?
Would it require an impractical amount of hacking?
Platform: Solaris 2.6 5/98, Samba 2.0.6. Problems observed using
virtual adrian, netstat, snoop and tcpdump.

Ops, Indoors Ultimate Frisbee tournamant in six hours, gotta get some sleep!

/wfr
Fredrik
Fredrik Lundholm                 systems administrator at ce.chalmers.se
dol at ce.chalmers.se 		 voice: +46 31 7721697