How to force Windows 95 to use specific Domain?

Cliff Green green at UMDNJ.EDU
Thu Jan 13 23:24:30 GMT 2000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Johannes.Weberhover at ibm.net enscribed thusly:

>Date:   Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:56:16 +0100
>From:   "Johannes Weberhofer" <Johannes.Weberhofer at ibm.net>
>To:     "Multiple recipients of list SAMBA" <samba at samba.org>
>Subject: How to force Windows 95 to use specific Domain?
>
>Hi,
>
>we' ve installed a Samba server in an austrian school. To have a good
>access control to the network, everyone have to authenticate against
>our samba server. Now the following problem occurs: When somebody
>enters another domain name in the login-mask's domain-field, the person
>can easily use this PC with all users/password combinations.

I'd bet you're clearing the last username from the logon screen, right?

Check the following KB article at MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q178/9/79.ASP

The title of the article is: "System Policy to Require Validation by
Network May Not Work".

The bottom line is that MS knows about it, and unless you're going to use
Win98 SE (or presumably W2K), then you need to get a hotfix from MS, or
not clear the last username.

>Does somebody know, how to turn off the login-mask's
>domain-name/workgroup field, so that the system will always use the
>name I' ve defined in system policies???

That's a horse of another color.  You may want to research the wrkgrp.ini
file referred to in:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q141/1/58.asp

Cliff Green				green at umdnj.edu
Academic Computing Service			  UMDNJ