SAMBA digest 2375 / Can't remove pause on printing

Axel Neumann amn at cromemco.com
Thu Jan 13 10:37:04 GMT 2000

Hillel Bilman wrote:

>I have a problem that if a user sends a file to be printed and checks
>remotely and finds the printing of that file has been paused, that
>user can't remove the pause as the system says he/she doesn't have
>permission to do it.
>
>My smb.conf contains :

>[global]
>   load printers = yes
>   printcap name = /etc/printcap
>   printing = bsd
>  security = user
>[printers]
>   comment = All Printers
>   path = /usr/spool/samba
>   browseable = no
>   guest ok = no
>   writable = no
>   printable = yes

>Must I set writable = yes, however I don't want people to be able to
>influence others printing.

>Thanks , Any help appreciated

Hi,

Sorry that you have not included any information about the UNIX you are
using. So
I can only guess what the problem is.

On some UNIX systems an ordinary user wants needs additional privileges if
he wants to pause a printer. To check this out you should login as such an
ordinary user directly to you UNIX box and try to pause a printer. If you
receive the same message you should check your UNIX manual to see how to
add this privilege to an ordinary user.

Pausing a printer is always working generally. This means if anybody pauses
a printer everyone can still print to this printer but there will be no
output until the printer is enabled again.

Best regards,

Axel Neumann