"The credentials supplied conflict with " ..message

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Tue Jan 11 16:28:08 GMT 2000

Andrew Boswell wrote:

> We have just upgraded from Samba 1.9.18p7 to 2.0.6.
>
> We are now encountering this problem with 2.0.6 which was discussed
> back in 1998.  We never had the problem with 1.9.18p7.  We haven't
> changed the smb.conf as we are just using Samba in basic fileserver
> mode.  Is there a change we need to make to get rid of this message and
> restriction occuring?
>
> Andrew

The default security setting changed from 1.9.18 to 2.0 versions of
samba. 1.9.18 defaulted to "security = share" while 2.0 defaults to
"security = user". In user mode security NT will only allow one set
of "credentials" to be used at a time. You can change your security
setting back to share and it will behave as before otherwise you
need to disconnect from the old share before trying to map the new
one.

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Strategic Software Organization              Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177