Quiet Samba

Nathan Angelacos nba at fcc.net
Tue Jan 11 02:14:15 GMT 2000

We have a situation where we do not want our samba servers
broadcasting their netbios names on the network.  I've never seen
anyone else discuss this; before I post a possible patch to the samba
code, I'm interested in knowing if anyone else would find this of
use.

Our organization has a 3000+node NT network.  To cut down on
broadcast traffic, the NT boxes are configured to NOT broadcast their
netbios name.  In NT-Speak:

 net config server /hidden:yes

The only machines on our net that broadcast are well-known servers.
Workstations and other department servers don't broadcast and don't
show up in browse lists.   Since WINS is used for name resolution,
these "hidden" nodes are still available if they have the server
service running (or, say, smbd <grin>):

 net use z: \\myserver\anyshare
 net view \\myserver
 etc.

By default, SAMBA broadcasts its netbios name, and thus all samba
servers show up on our browse lists.  I've patched the sources to add
an additional SMB.CONF parameter:

 Hidden server	= yes | no   		# default = no

If set to "yes", this parameter shunts the netbios and OS/2 Lanman
name broadcasts. It has proven very stable for us since pre 2.0.x
Samba code.

Before I post this through the proper channels as a possible addition
to the base code, I was wondering if anyone else out there feels this
is useful.  In the year I've subscribed to this list, I've never seen
anyone request this sort of thing - so are we just so unusual that it
wouldn't be applicable to the samba community in general?

Any comments appreciated.