whitespace

Paul Allen paul.l.allen at boeing.com
Mon Jan 10 21:52:39 GMT 2000

Werner Posselt wrote:

> Is it possible to disallow creation of filenames containing
> whitespace characters on Samba Shares ?
> This is causing headaches sometimes on the unix side of life.

Have you tried public floggings?  Works for me.  :-)

But really, why do you want to give your users a reason to think
that Unix is less capable than Windows?  Both systems allow spaces
in filenames, but only Unix has sophisticated shells that treat
whitespace as a word separator.  I'd say the real solution is to
use the flexibility of Unix to fix the scripts that are breaking.
A little judicious quoting should do the trick.  Let's see NT fix
a problem so easily!

Paul Allen
--
Paul L. Allen           | voice: (425) 865-3297  fax: (425) 865-2964
Unix Technical Support  | paul.l.allen at boeing.com
Boeing Phantom Works Math & Computing Technology Site Operations,
POB 3707 M/S 7L-68, Seattle, WA 98124-2207